In this blog post, we will outline the core tenets of DevEx, spotlight potential missteps, and explore services that directly support developer experience programs.
The importance of DevEx
Developer velocity is a term that refers to how fast developers can bring a new product to market or release new iterations of a current product. McKinsey noted that companies at the peak 25% of developer velocity consistently outperform competitors by four to five times. Additionally, companies in the top quartile have 55% higher innovation scores than those in the bottom. These metrics translate to stronger earnings, better stock performances, and lower margins.
McKinsey found that there are four factors vital to growing better DevEx:
- Tools – Investing in top-tier tools boosts DevEx and developer velocity. When organizations grant developers the freedom to select their tools, it increases productivity and lets developers customize their workflows for maximum efficiency.
- Culture – Innovation thrives in a culture of psychological safety, in which developers feel safe to test new ideas and processes without fear of penalization for failed attempts.
- Product management – Streamlined workflow and transparent product management are positive pressures that keep development teams on time and within budget.
- Talent – Finding and keeping quality employees builds better DevEx and reinforces the above three categories.
Barriers to exceptional DevEx
Simply put, good developer experience generates better business outcomes. Likewise, bad DevEx causes a lack of company growth, stressful work conditions, and high developer turnover.
Legacy applications are a leading cause of friction in DevEx. Slowing architecture and systems drag down developers during each phase. Application modernization removes the enormous roadblocks developers face when working with and maintaining legacy tools.
Further DevEx pitfalls include:
- Selecting tools for developers instead of letting them make their own choices.
- Nonfunctioning or glitchy code.
- Insufficient training documents and opportunities.
- Punishing failure and restricting chances to innovate.
- Forcing developers to work overtime and setting impractical deadlines.
DevEx support services from OnX
OnX offers a suite of services that drastically improve developer experience, enabling your company to fully appreciate the advantages of quality DevEx.
- Application modernization. Creating a cloud-based development environment by migrating dev tools to the Cloud (application modernization) boosts development velocity. It enables more resources to be devoted to innovating rather than maintaining legacy systems. Developers enjoy cutting-edge and secure development tools by moving development to the Cloud.
- Consulting. OnX experts map out step-by-step guides to improving DevEx at your organization.
- Automation. On average, developers only spend 30% of their time coding. Automation can significantly reduce manual processes and give developers time to focus on priority projects.
- Managed services. Outsource repetitive and mundane tasks to open up even more time for developers.
Companies across sectors are awakening to the incredible importance of DevEx. Eliminating friction points from development workflows drives creativity and positive business outcomes.
OnX specializes in application modernization, process optimization, and accelerating operations. With over 30 years of experience, our team of software engineers, project management specialists, and IT consultants can guide your organization to fully optimized developer experience and speed up developer velocity.